Dec 29, 2005

Sabotage and shark steak

Miss me? No? Shall I hit you with my t-ball bat for that? I'm sitting in Nashville at a Starbucks overlooking 21st Avenue. Satco is on my left and so is Panera and so is alot more if you continue down the road. Who in here likes Nashville? Who in here likes sheperd's pie? Who knows what that is? If you're a mashed potato lover, you'll know or want to know.

I got a gift certificate to Adagio spa for an hour massage for Christmas. I called to redeem my gift and set the appointment for this morning. They asked what I had in mind. I had no clue, but I'd heard of "swedish massage" before, so I chose that. She said the normal swedish was really light, so I said to make it a firm swedish massage. No one wants a light back rub. No one wants their back stoned either. Little did I know I invited a deep tissue muscle massage into my 11 o'clock hour. Maybe next time I'll volunteer to hold the target at the archery range or maybe I could stick my hand in the mouse trap first to make sure it works. I kept asking "another knot!?!" You know how you're sore after a day of hard work on your muscles? Yeah, I was immediately sore following my massage/sabatoge. It was pleasantly painful, I should say. It hurt, but I kind of liked it b/c I knew I'd feel better afterwards - AND I did. I definitely needed to get the kinks worked out, but man, maybe I should make this more of monthly ordeal so there's not as much built up tension. Or we can have more massage parties at 734! Did that shound shady? Hi mom!

I've been enjoying my time to myself here at home. I have had alot of reading and writing time (no arithmetic). I've been reading "Desiring God" by Piper. Wow. You all need to pick it up if you like spiritual shark steak. Its meaty! I've also been able to study in my key word study bible alot. The scriptures come alive when you further dissect the original greek and hebrew meanings of words. I like to take a verse and further unpack it with my lexical aid (in the back) and original text meanings.

I want to encourage you to spend as much time investing in yourself as possible. Its so hard to get through the fog of friends and obligations (which are all good, but moderation is key), but you must find some clear air to get alone and think and read and enjoy God. He longs to be savored by you. The more you pour into yourself with the Word, the better of a tool you'll be for the kingdom with others. Remember this life is not about you, but we're on a mission to mirror our King who through grace gives us each new day and each breath for His glory. So what are you doing with your days? You don't have to feed the homeless or sell all your stuff, but in the little things even, do your best to reflect the One who gave all just to be with us. Bottom line, try not to think about yourself so much. Food for thought. Slirp that down.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

On the whole massage thing...got a gift certificate to the Aveda salon...and it was pure heaven for an hour. I will never understand the people that can't stand to have massages...something is wrong with them in my opinion. Bring on the massage party, as long as I get an invite. :)

Just starting Piper's "When I don't desire God" and learning about what he calls Christian Hedonism...very good.

AllisonGail said...

Your massage talk made me laugh!