This blog began as an online outlet for my random thoughts, metaphorical analogies of Grace, topical bible studies, and spiritual articles I resonated with. It is now primarily an archive of my poetry. Hope you enjoy it!
Dec 18, 2005
"Having your cake and eating it too"
Who in the world thought of this phrase? I have pondered about this cliche at least twice in my life, but now is the time to bring it to the www. What, my friends, do you do with cake that is offered to you? Do you take a picture of it? Do you smell it (Aaron would)? Do you mash it with your hands and finger paint on the wall? No. You eat it. If I'm having cake, I'm eating it too. Whoa - but this is a negative connotation! This insinuates someone is enjoying a certain freedom, but also selfishly taking advantage of someone else at the other's expense. So if the cliche means this, it should read more like... I've thought about this for at least 10 minutes now and can't think of a revised cliche, so now I open the blog comment page to other cliche's that don't make any sense to you. I just wanted to address this one. If I'm given cake, I'm gonna eat it! And to me, that makes sense. Your turn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I must have ESPN or something because I was just pondering the same exact thing. That's weird. Wow, great minds really do think alike!
While I do understand the metaphor, that's just torment to me. Who would just want to look at cake? I'm gonna eat it, speaking of which, I'm going to go eat a piece of Beth's pumpkin bread, thanks Pud!
Thanks to all my participants! This is fun. Now, WHO IS MY MYSTERY COMMENT DELETER??
Mr. Martin please stick to the current topic. You completely avoided the question.
To add to the bad cliche vault: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." I actually said this one to Dalton at the cookie party and he looked at me like I had grown two heads. Basically it means that when an opportunity presents itself, you should not hesitate to take it. I used it in response to the fact that he had dropped a perfectly good cookie on the ground after inspecting it for an imagined hair. Cliches do not work if no one knows what they mean evidently... :)
In addition has everyone heard "cold hands, warm heart?" Said that one the other day and I was told that I must be making that up to distract from the fact that my hands were as cold as ice blocks.
What about "everything's coming up roses" or "it's going swimmingly?" I was actually talking to Melissa about what it means for something to go "swimmingly" recently. How does something go "swimmingly?" I want to say that it's smooth, but have you seen people swim? Swimming is not exactly smooth- there is arm flapping, leg kicking, and typically a bunch of splashing. So, it must mean something else, but what?
About the cake, I understand that I can't HAVE my cake and EAT it too, but I rather EAT my cake than have it. I mean, c'mon people, who wants cake just sitting around? It gets hard and crusty- it's much better in the tummy :)
the rap battle? wow, first MUSH MUSH now rap battle, I feel like I'm constantly asking for explanations... :)
Post a Comment