"My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense - Jesus Christ. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." I John 2:1-2
"This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." I John 4:10
The greek word for atoning sacrifice here in both of these verses is, 'hilasmos.' It means to propitiate (to appease); to expiate, satisfy a need. This word is used only twice of Jesus Christ as the one who, by His sacrificial death, satisfies the demand of the judicial wrath of God for justice against sin. He is both the sacrifice and the high priest offering sacrifice; His blood is that which covers or makes atonement for sin. In fact, His sacrifice more than covers sin, it permanently removes it! (NT lexical aid, key word study bible) References to this below:
- "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." John 1:29
- "As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:12
- "I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you." Isaiah 44:22
**The Hebrew meaning for redeemed here is from the word, "Ga'al," meaning to ransom, release, deliver. The main idea is that of buying back something or someone.
Something else I learned about God removing our sins and forgiving us, he also forgets them. I was 21 when a dear friend in college showed me this verse in Hebrews. It blew me away!
- "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more." Hebrews 8:12
He longs for our return when we slip away from him! He not only forgives, but forgets; wiping the slate clean. Purifying us, making us holy.
If any of you are harboring guilt for something, let it go. Christ is your Hilasmos so you don't have to dwell on your sin any more! His grace in the sacrifice on the cross covered anything you have done and have yet to do in the future. This by no means should be an excuse to go on sinning,(Romans 6:1-2) b/c grace abounds, but just rest in the freedom of grace. It's that simple! Repent. Your offenses are wiped clean. He's already paid the ransom.
From the prophet, Jeremiah, on God's pursuit of us when we stray:
3:12 "Return...I will frown on you no longer, for I am merciful, declares the Lord."
3:14 "Return, faithless people, declares the Lord, for I am your husband."
3:22 "Return, faithless people, I will cure you of your backsliding."
4:1 "If you will return to me, O Israel, return to me, declares the Lord."
1 comment:
Yes, I just read this this morning - I'm obviously kinda behind on the whole reading-my-friends-blogs thing...but luckily it looks like your behind on the writing-blog thing too ;) Anyway, thanks for feeding me with some awesome scripture this morning Ms. Beth - I loved it! :)
I miss you!!
Post a Comment