When John tells us in Revelation 2:17 that those who overcome will be given a new name, he means to say that we’ll receive much more than a new identifying title. The Greek word for name here is, Onoma. It means reputation, dignity, character, purpose. Onoma is the “substitute or representative of a person, whether divine or human.” (Key Word study bible NT lexical aid) It identifies with the person bearing the name. When we are baptized in Jesus name, we’re being baptized in agreement with His character. Not simply His title, but all that accompanies the name, Jesus. It is the same when we end in prayer. We end our prayer with, “in Jesus name, Amen.” We are aligning our prayer with Jesus’ purpose and reputation.
John 14:13 says, “I will do whatever you ask in my name (onoma).” Now I know this means He’ll do whatever we ask if it aligns with the reputation, dignity, character and purpose of His name.
It's exciting to look forward to the end when this ugly carnal nature of ours will finally be washed away and we'll be given an entirely new nature without threat of our flesh seeping in, tainting it. We'll forever get to dance, sing, and praise Him without any hindrances! The enemy won't be able to invade! It will be a glorious union of people from all over the world worshipping our faithful deliverer; our tender, compassionate, forgiving Father who went at great lengths to retrieve and redeem us. Together, with one voice, we will marvel at His majesty and unfathomable grace and power. We'll be renovated from the inside out, made perfect in His name with our new name! Until then, there is much work to do. Sometimes it's hard to be motivated to continue in the work set before me, but His mercies are new every morning. Day by day I'm renewed. Day by day, by day by day... :) (see below entry)
I know it's simple, but I thought it was cool unpacking the word. Lexical aids are where its at! Anyway, we know what encompasses mention of His name, but now, what about ours? That's a good question I think we should ask ourselves more often. What does our actions, words, and the way we dress say about our name? Actually, that's not the most fun question to ask, but I think its good practice. :) Food for thought at least.
No comments:
Post a Comment