Recently I have been thinking a lot about giving - the spirit we are to do so, and what, if anything, is to be expected in return. I’ve been guilty of self-pity this week. I think it’s human nature to expect things in return for giving. It’s just natural. “’You look nice today!’ ‘Oh thank you! So do you!’” If you give your time to an organization, you’d expect them to say thanks for your services. Or take Christmas for example. I don’t give gifts b/c I want one in return, but I used to be like that and I know many that still have this mindset. None of these returns are necessary, but they are in a sense, expected. When we don’t hear the recognition or return affirmation, we can find ourselves feeling neglected or used. Maybe it’s just me. When we give, WHY do we expect so much from people in return? And WHY do we even seek out affirmation from men, when we know that our cheerful giving pleases our Father in Heaven (2 Cor. 9:7) who will reward us for our obedience in due time? We don’t store up treasures on earth with compliments and man’s approval. Our treasures are in Heaven. This world isn’t our home anyways. So, I’ve been learning what it means to serve with a joyful heart without expecting a thank you. We don’t need one. Matthew 10:8 says, “Freely you have received, freely give.” It’s a simple command. You have all been given an over abundance to fulfill your needs and then some. (I can say this now by seeing how these Swazi’s live on barely anything) Any time you have an opportunity to serve someone, whether it be by encouraging them, listening to them, feeding them, or manually helping them, “serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, b/c you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does” (Eph 6:7).
Living to please an invisible God is definitely challenging when we have tangible people surrounding us all of the time. It’s almost easier seeking praise we can audibly hear. When we get praises from people, its nice. Its encouraging. It builds you up and you wouldn’t mind having more. There’s nothing wrong with verbal affirmation, compliments, or praise, unless it becomes your motivation. Why do you the things you do and say the things you say? Would you like a certain person to see you or hear you? Would their recognition of you boost your ego and fill your cup? To whom do you seek your fulfillment from? That is the question.
We are told to boast only in Jesus, since all things are to Him, through Him, and for Him. “Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord” (1 Cor 1:31). “May I never boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Gal 6:14). This week, God has taught me a lot about my motives and the spirit in which I give. Do I give boasting in the Lord, with gratitude for miraculously transforming my life? Or do I give wanting to receive a boasting of myself? If you are currently camped out in self -pity for whatever reason, I encourage you to get over yourself and find something to do. I know that sounds harsh, but really, there are plenty of opportunities to serve around you, which would take the focus off of you, and not only help others, but make you feel better at the same time! (See, I'm trying to help! ;) Speaking from experience...) I have discovered how much of a pleasure it is to serve people, with the mindset that I’m not doing it for them, but for Christ! Our service should be rooted and fueled with humble gratitude to a lavish Giver who has bountifully poured much grace and favor on us. “Freely you have received, freely give.” You have been given much, not so you can keep it all to yourselves, but so you can give back. I John 2:6 says, “Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did.” …”The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve” (Matt 20:28). He didn’t serve needing to be praised by men. He didn’t lay down his life for others hoping to receive recognition for it. His mindset was strictly on pleasing His Father; no one else.
“Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Gal. 1:10
“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10
“As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me.” (John 9:4)
No comments:
Post a Comment