


Saturday, I left for Tahoe for work meetings all week. We had a great 2005, so Nokia wanted to reward us with a cool place for our Q1 2006 meetings. Nine of us came in early to ski this past weekend and it was soo fun! I had only skied twice in my life - once in Paoli peaks, Indiana when I was 14 and another time last January in North Carolina. I was told that out west, I'd experience "real skiing," AND I did! We went to Squaw Valley, where the 1960 Olympics were held. Pretty big mountain! All nine of us started out together on the green (beginner) slopes, but then we lost each other and it was just Sarah and I, the Miami rep. (She's in the pic with the mountain behind her. That was the scary one we were proud to make it down w/o falling!) On the 3rd journey down the easy mountains, we decided to pass the gondola and cable cars and just continue on down since it was all blue (intermediate) and not black. I WOULD NOT do a black diamond if you paid me alot of money. I'm just afraid, and I'm ok with that. Anyways, a mile and a half later, we were at the bottom. I mean, it probably took at least a half hour to finish the mountain. There were people who were on the tip top of a very steep hill making their way down. I thought they were crazy suicidal. Actually I envied them for being so carefree. I had many cares. I cared for my body that it didn't slap into a tree and separate in the snow. I cared for my inability to stop once I'd started going fast. I cared about my future that would change if I slapped into a tree... Those straight down hills don't allow much opportunity to stop b/c you go so fast! I'm sure there's an art form to it. Regardless, we went down the intermediate forever long hills, ate lunch, went back to the beginners, then I made myself hit the intermediate again by myself. It really was exhausting the first time, so my friend Sarah excused herself after three runs, and I went alone. I knew I'd be mad at myself if I allowed the challenge to beat me. I hadn't fallen all day until I journeyed to conquer the blue slopes again. I came to the steepest part that scared us before and just sucked it up b/c I had 8 year olds and 80 year olds swooshing past me! My pride said, "get over it and go!" So i did and I rolled down most of the way. My skis flew off and locked up so I couldn't put them on again. I just had to laugh and laid on my back until someone came to help me. He unlocked them, I was free and finished the mountain. It was so much fun. I was wiped out at the end of the day, but it was nice to experience "real skiing." God smiled at me through the gorgeous scenery. The lake, the trees, and snow. The mountains could swallow us up and yet, He's still bigger than them. They sing His praises and reach towards the Heavens to touch Him, much like we do when we worship unashamedly with our hands raised. If He is bigger than these commanding mountains, He's bigger than your circumstances. Don't be overcome by them.
We also went snow mobiling today for three hours (see first picture). SO MUCH FUN! SOOO PRETTY! We split into six groups and explored around the Squaw Valley mountains again. For three hours, our guides took us throughout the forest of the national park. There was snow all over the trees and the ground, but it was raining when we began. We climbed up 2500 ft to escape the rain and entered a mini blizzard. I was honored to see such untouched terrain. There were piles of snow gathered on the pine trees - every now and again, that branch would collapse due to the weight. I'd see it and knew that even if I didn't see it and no one else was out there, that God would know. Those pine trees all looked the same, but I know not one is exactly like another. Its just like us. We are all uniquely different, fashioned to our Creator's creativity. He's brilliant. He's all knowing. He knows when the tree's branch collapses from the weight of snow and ice and He knows when we nearly collapse due to weights we unecessarily carry. Why do you carry such burdens anyways? Who are you to hold such weight on your shouders? As I said earlier, if God is bigger than the mountains in Lake Tahoe, is He not bigger than what you're going through? Is he not able to handle your weight? Christ says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and i will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)" Doesn't rest sound great right about now? You're hindering the peace freely offered to you by holding on to your burdens. Quit being a control freak and let it go. "You will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matt 11:29b-30)" If you were running a race and you fell and twisted your ankle, but couldn't see the finish line for miles, would you just want to rough it and do it all alone or take a free ride if someone just happened to appear along side you offering? Exactly. You'd take the free ride, so take it now and rest easy knowing that God is Sovereign. He needs you to trust Him with this and with everything. "Cast all your anxiety on Him, for He cares for you (I Peter 5:7)." "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own (Matt. 6:34)." Don't live for tomorrow b/c you'll miss what today has to offer! Today is a gift and will be unlike any other day if you look for all the opportunities and blessings it has to offer. Try not to focus so much on you and how things affect you, but keep an eternal perspective about things. We have been created for God's glory. You will glorify Him by allowing Him to carry your burdens, instead of carrying the load alone. Surrender to His pursuit and allow yourself the rest He offers. Praying for you who reads this...
1 comment:
Man, what a great testimony Beth! Reading that and listening to Charlie Hall made me feel like I was there enjoying God's beauty. Those words wrap around me and are a continual reminder that it's not about us!
Post a Comment