Feb 11, 2006

Dung

I usually read from the NIV, but occasionally, I'll cross reference with my KJV Bible b/c I love the language depicted through this version! Its so poetic to me. I grew up with this version at school and church and had no clue what it was saying, but through the years, God has opened my eyes to the translation. Look at the KJV version of the verse where Paul proclaims that all things are rubbish compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ.

Philippians 3:7-8. (KJV):

7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8 Yea doubtless, I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.

Paul doubtlessly counts all things as loss, as dung, for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ. Not just the intellectual knowledge, for its not the facts that saves, restores, or delivers you, but intimacy with Him. From all my years at school of learning Bible stories and verses, it wasn't until college that I found out you could have a personal relationship with Christ. After 21 years of being Divinely pursued, I accepted the invitation to give up my life. Knowing Him personally is the real treat!

Dung translated in the Hebrew means “to be thrown to the dogs.” Everything else you pour your life into that is discordant to Christ is worthy of being thrown to the dogs. Chew on that one...

I got this from my KJV key word study bible. It gives you hebrew and greek translations for the text. It makes reading the Bible so much more exciting to be able to unpack the verses more! I highly recommend some type of key word study bible. Have a great weekend! So thrilled to do my taxes!! I LOVE NUMBERS! (j/k i loathe them and would rather clean all of your toilets than sit down and work with them)

No comments: