Feb 2, 2006

Contentment

Psalm 115:3 "Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him."
Psalm 16:5 "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure."

When I question my circumstances, I remember Psalm 115:3. He does whatever pleases Him. It pleases Him for me to go through valleys sometimes b/c its in the valleys that he carries me to the mountain top. When I'm on top, I find I don't need Him as much, so He humbles me in due time and redirects my gaze back at Him. Knowing that this life is not about me, but about Him and His eternal plan, I can rest knowing that my lot is secure. His plan for my life cannot be thwarted by sinful me! He prepares me for what He's preparing for me. (last sentence paraphrased from Elisabeth Elliot quote)

"Our heavenly Father knows to place us where we may learn lessons impossible anywhere else. He has neither misplaced nor displaced us. He assigns and designs according to His inscrutable wisdom - always for our blessing and conformity to the image of Christ." (Elisabeth Elliot, "Secure in the Everlasting Arms)

E.B. Pusey (1800-1882) suggested rules for those who wish to gain contentment that surely reflect Jesus' own attitude:

1. Allow thyself to complain of nothing, not even the weather.
2. Never picture thyself to thyself under any circumstances in which thou are not.
3. Never compare thine own lot with that of another.
4. Never allow thyself to dwell on the wish that this or that had been, or were, otherwise than it was, or is. God Almighty loves thee better and more wisely than thou doest thyself.
5. Never dwell on the morrow. Remember that it is God's not thine. The heaviest part of sorrow often is to look forward to it. "The Lord will provide."

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." (I Timothy 6:6-7)

"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:12-13)

Can you imagine writing about contentment from prison?

"O Lord, whose way is perfect, help us, I pray Thee, always to trust in Thy goodness: that walking with thee and following Thee in all simplicity, we may possess quiet and contented minds; and may cast all our care on Thee, for Thou carest for us. Amen." (Christina Rosetti)

(E.B. Pusey and Christina Rosetti also taken from "Secure in the Everlasting Arms," by Elisabeth Elliot - HIGHLY recommended book!)

1 comment:

Aaron and Carolyn said...

amazing. thanks. glad to see you re-entered the blogging world. have you ever heard of "Bobby's World"? ;o)