I’ve lived in another country before, but this is different. In college, I lived in London with 24 friends, 8 of which were very close to me. We lived in a 6 story flat in Kensington, which is a very affluent suburb of the city. We were in walking distance to Hyde Park and Kensington Palace, Princess Diana’s home. We were one tube stop away from the coolest shopping street, High Street Kensington and I went nearly every day I was in town. There, we had the 24 hr ‘Easy Everything’ Internet Café, two H&M’s, Debenham’s department store, a drug store, Wagamama’s noodle bar, and countless other fashion boutiques and restaurants. I love fashion, so I’d enjoy just browsing to keep up with the European trends. There was always something to do in London. If I wasn’t browsing the trends on High Street, I could go to art museums and see actual Renoirs and Monets. I could go to the Cabinet War Rooms for insight into Churchill’s daily routine with his cabinet during WWII. I could visit the Tower Bridge or walk by the Thames River with a chai latte. We were out of class every Thursday afternoon, so we frequently spent long weekends traveling to neighboring cities and countries. It was always exciting in London. Its my favorite city in the world, by far! London has everything. A fast pace, history in art and artifacts, restaurants, castles, shopping, music, accents, the underground, and so much more.
Then, there’s Swaziland, where life is extremely slow in comparison to London, Atlanta, or even the smallest town in southern Georgia. People walk miles to fetch water and many times, they are barefoot! Their restrooms are an outhouse, and they carry firewood on their heads to fuel their natural heaters. Swaziland is gorgeous, but is ridden with death, disease and poverty. It is very sunny, green and mountainous. The people here are so peaceful and friendly; but a little too friendly since they hold the highest rate of HIV in the world, all due to their promiscuity and polygamy. Their culture seems to run on instincts, namely sexual ones and most of them ignorantly carry on with their pleasures, thinking they’re invincible. I’ve heard from many, that it’s just too hard to have self-control. This is why nearly half the population of women are said to have been raped, men have multiple wives, and the country’s dying of AIDS. Stores close at 2pm on weekends so everyone can be off for their funerals. I’ve met people who attend funerals every weekend.
Yes, life is different here in Swaziland. I’ve learned a lot about this culture, and am daily disturbed by it. But there are those golden moments when a teenager asks me how they can control themselves and I’m able to encourage them and give them helpful scriptures to read. We can truly do all things (only) through Christ, who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13). It makes my day when a small group approaches me afterwards to tell me they’re abstaining and appreciated our presentation. Each day, I pray, “Lord, help us to positively impact at least one person to continue abstaining or change their behavior.”
Life in Swaziland is full of challenging trials. Many times, I am lonely and low on fuel, but the Lord has taught me more so than ever to lean on Him and to trust Him through these dark times. The other night, He gave me this verse while I was searching scriptures on giving. 2 Chronicles 15:7, “But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.” I remembered Galatians 6:9, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” It is hard being away from all that you know and all those you love. I get homesick often and many times have wanted to give up, but my strength is in these words! I will not give up, but will stand strong to the end b/c we serve a sovereign God and I am thankful for anything He sees fit to put me through. I’ve also been studying James 1, about being joyful in trials. James 1:2-4, “Consider it pure joy my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, b/c you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. The Greek word for mature here is Teleios. It means consummated, complete, perfected, proficient. We must allow perseverance to finish its work through our trials so we may be perfected and complete in Him! If that is the outcome, I can submit to that! All in all, living in Swaziland is perfect and I'm eternally grateful. It’s not as easy, exciting, or luxurious as London, but I’m gaining a lot more, I’ll say. London was about constant entertainment and sight seeing. Swaziland is more about constant bowing and solitude. The latter has certainly been more beneficial, so I'm thankful! To Him be the glory.
3 comments:
Beth, your perseverance is one of the many character traits that makes you so beautiful!
Beth you have many character traits that make you so beautiful, I agree. But to me it is your heart for others and your dadgum spot-on sense of humor peppered with sincere desire for others to find peace that absolutely blows me away
I feel like I am sitting right next to you looking at Execution rock drinking a lemonade. Fabulous pst as always and fabulous description of what you are experiencing. It is so hard to comprehend exactly what you are seeing but this was so helpful. I am sending up prayers of perserverence right now for you! The sweet day when we see you soon is almost here! God is so honored by your obedience, Beth. You are giving Him such sweet worship through your servanthood. I am so humbled by you - by Christ in you!
I hope you are sleeping peacefully.
XOXO
Post a Comment