“I am in the midst of you as he that serveth.” Luke 22:27
I have been reading a book by Andrew Murray titled, “Humility, The Beauty of Holiness.” I actually wanted to bring this book with me to Africa, but I ended up not getting it since I was already bringing 20 books anyway. I was delighted to see that Crystal, Lad’s wife had a copy and she loaned it to me. I’m enthralled! I want to share some of Andrew’s wisdom with you b/c it has blessed me so much – and I want to also assist in blessing you!
First, I’ll site scriptures from chapter 3 that gives an example of how Christ was here on assignment from the Father, to seek not His own Glory, but the Glory of Him who sent Him. This is the mindset we should all take, but I’ll admit that it’s near impossible forgetting yourself unless we go about it in continuous prayer. We so often seek our own glory, whether we realize it or not. I have found so much about myself in reading this book. Namely, how diseased I seem to be with pride. It wears so many masks!
The Son can do nothing of Himself. (John 5:19)
I can of My own self do nothing; My judgment is just, b/c I seek not Mine own will. (John 5:30)
I receive not glory from men. (John 5:41)
I am come not to do Mine own will. (John 6:38)
My teaching is not mine. (John 7:16)
I am not come of Myself. (John 7:28)
I do nothing of Myself. (John 8:28)
I have not come of Myself, but He sent Me. (John 8:42)
I seek not Mine own glory. (John 8:50)
The words that I say, I speak not from Myself. (John 14:20)
The word which ye hear is not mine. (John 14:24)
The following are all quotes from Andrew Murray.
“Humility is the bloom and the beauty of holiness.”
“Humility is nothing but the disappearance of self in the vision that God is all.”
Speaking of the pride of holiness, complacency of attainments, and any recognition of the advance over others, “It reveals itself, not only in words or thoughts, but in a tone, a way of speaking of others, in which those who have the gift of spiritual discernment cannot but recognize the power of self.”
“The humble man feels no jealousy or envy. He can praise God when others are preferred and blessed before him. He can bear to hear others praised and himself forgotten b/c in God’s presence he has learnt to say with Paul, ‘I am nothing.’ He has received the spirit of Jesus, who pleased not Himself and sought not His own honor, as the spirit of His life.”
“Humility is the displacement of self by the enthronement of God. Where God is all, self is nothing.” OOOHHHH! ;)
“Amid what are considered the temptations to impatience and touchiness, to hard thoughts and sharp words, which come from the failings and sins of fellow Christians, the humble man carries the oft-repeated injunction in his heart and shows it in his life, ‘forbearing one another and forgiving one another, even as the Lord forgave you.’”
“As health expels disease and light swallows up darkness and life conquers death, the indwelling of Christ through the Spirit is the health and light and life of the soul.”
“As long as we take glory from one another, as long as ever we seek and love and jealously guard the glory of this life, the honor and reputation that comes from men, we do not seek, and cannot receive the glory that comes from God. Pride renders faith impossible. Salvation comes through a cross and a crucified Christ. Salvation is the fellowship with the crucified Christ in the Spirit of His cross. Salvation is union with and delight in, salvation is participation in, the humility of Jesus. Is it wonder that our faith is so feeble when pride still reigns so much, and we have scarce learnt even to long or pray for humility as the most needful and blessed part of salvation?”
Yeah, I know!! Good stuff huh? I didn’t even type it all, but those are my favorite quotes so far and I still have 4 chapters left. I highly recommend this book!
5 comments:
Beth, thank you so much for the encouragement. Every now and then it just feels necessary to sit down and tell Jesus that He knows way more about exactly what's going on in my heart and head than I do, so could He please give me the words to write about it? And sometimes He does. I don't think you KNOW me, but I do know we have met before via Alex Nifong...so that might fit into both the 'knowing' and 'not-knowing' categories. Thank you so much for taking time to write a comment. They make my day:) And just so YOU know, what y'all are doing in Africa is nothing short of Glorious. Jesus' Glory, of course, but a whole lot of it. I have heard you are a pretty cool person, and I believe it. Here's to another Glorious day, whenever yours starts...
Kelly Spitler
And by the way, yep, Andrew Murray took me down a few pegs in the few minutes I read those quotes...good stuff
I have been reading this too Beth! That's awesome!
I love that book and flew through it, but I should read it again b/c you can never be too humble, huh. I told the guys in the small group to read this book next, so they are.
A few points to add outside of Murray's wisdom:
*Attitude is an accurate monitor of where we fall on the spectrum of pride and humility.
*If we are not humble we are not teachable, and if we aren't teachable, there can be no transformation
*Without humility, a God of infinite power would use His resources to impress rather than to transform (McManus': Stand Against The Wind...amazing stuff!)
I love Andrew Murray!
His stuff has impacted me in such a deep way, I don’t think I even understand it. I have read most of his books and have been so encouraged by his personal walk with Jesus. He was something special.
I am a musician and AM has inspired many of my songs. I would be honored if you would check out my music on my site. All my music is free for download. Anyway, I just thought that I’d share.
Thanks,
-Sean
________________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
“All my music is free for download.”
Post a Comment