Apr 28, 2007

Heartbeat

There was a rhythm in my chest, evidence of my existence.
It beat to a melodious tune, but what truly struck my chords?

There was a rhythm in my chest, proof that I had purpose.
I’d been graced with much. Responsibility.
But WHAT did my heart beat for?

Was it for more things? More junk? More to accessorize?
Was life about decorating me?
Yes, I’d fallen for lies.

Was it for him to complete me? Or what about him?
How foolish could I have been?
My eyes fell prey on counterfeit truth.
T’was so easy to compromise.

More feelings, more color, more taste, more please.
All was never enough. I wanted more things.
I lived to buy more stuff.

More stuff, more pleasure, more disease, more lies.
I was ridden with things.
My smile was my disguise.

The spotlight, his attention, the ornaments I bought to highlight;
Actually masked my real need. I was starving for truth.
I was blinded; in desperate need of sight.

With lenses into my heart, you would see that it was true.
I was polluted with things. Empty of Life.
Nothing satisfied, til I met You.

You gave my heart a new rhythm. I saw I’d always been wrong.
My heart now leaped with exuberant joy.
Your Love has written a new song.

A new song amidst the garbage. The pollution and years of sin.
The deceiving lies of my old labels had nearly done me in.

But You came along and rewrote my story. Your Cross has washed me clean.
I now live with confidence. I’m no longer bound. You fill me with hope.
My heart sings of new sounds.

Sounds of worth, acceptance, security, and Love. What amazing sounds in my ear!
I’d searched my whole life to gain these things. If only I was soft enough to hear.
If only I cared enough to hear.
I might have been spared of pain…

But there was a reason for it all. A grand story to recall.
To tell of Your glorious power to remove the scars and lift me from my fall.

No longer do I live in the pit. I’m ransomed from those days.
My feet stand on the Rock of Christ. I am new in all my ways.

Thank You Beloved.

There’s a rhythm in my chest. One you can’t help but dance to.
The tune is simple. His Love is free. Accept His grace.
He rescued me!

There’s a rhythm in my chest. It sings of redemption and rest.
Jesus Christ composes. He turned my junk to roses.
I am complete in Him.
Free in Him.
Won’t you turn to Him.
Beloved, give your life to Him, and rest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, i wonder if i'm living with an angel...this is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth. I came across your blog and it has been so fun to read! Sounds like you've been really busy the last 5 years!!! Can you believe it's been that long??? Hope you're doing well in Atlanta. It was good to see what you've been up to!
Ashley Bussey

Sarah said...

Beth- Heartbeat truly articulates the beat of our heart and mine and many other voiceless people. I love it! Thank you. I am awe of those words, that truth, this season, and our God....

I love you sister

Sarah