I was going through an old box of writings from high school and came across some poems I wrote as a teenager!! Unashamedly, I will post them as they are proof of my intrigue into expression through poetry at an early age. This first one was one that I apparently was going to enter into a national poetry contest, but never did!
The Innocent Man's Cry (1997 or 98)
I heard a loud cry that peeled through the silence
Why must we have all these doers of violence?
Through the black of the night I saw red and blue
I'll never figure out why they did this to you
"It's not fair" I whispered through my blind wrath
He probably won't think of his family's aftermath
Knives and guns, and guns and knives...
You can never replace all those innocent lives
They're all so selfish they don't even think
They'll take anyone's life and they won't even blink
All they do is laugh when the victims cry
Their mothers and fathers say "why, O why?"
In the midst of the night, in my dreams, I still hear
The cry of the man who tried to run in fear
His family still mourns the death of their friend
A wound so deep it could never be mend
When I think of that night, all I can do is sadly sigh
When I remember the time I heard the innocent man cry
_______________________________________________________________________
This next one was written after I think my first high school boyfriend, which, with time under my belt, was so menial, but was obviously devastating at the time! These words make me want to hug my broken 17 year old self! :)
Untitled (November 17, 1997)
I remember us once a little while back,
Our love was so short, my heart was thrown away.
The depth of your feeling for me did I lack,
You tossed me to sea and left me for prey. (aww!)
The warmth of your touch, the tenderness of your smile,
The charm of your words, the familiarness of your name;
Your spell, I was under for only a little while;
I thought your heart welcomed me then so I came.
As I look back now, on my ignorance I see,
That you never even carried my heart in your chest.
I know it would have lasted if it were truly meant to be.
It was the heart of your own that you loved the best.
Alone, I am in no hurry to find a new mate,
for good things do come to those who wait.
(Commentary) - So crazy how teenage girls really do see short span relationships as potentials for marriage. I guess some do work out, but the percentage is so small! We're so love struck by nature! This poem helps me remember how real the pain was at that age, so I can look at my current teenagers with compassion. They so purely give of their hearts, so it truly pierces when they're are scalded.
_________________________________________________________________________
I thought this next one was from college, but it looks like high school. Perhaps the same guy? I don't know, but here's my past broken heart over the matter.
High School Love (1998)
He said we can't be together, we must be apart.
I walked away silent, but it still broke my heart.
I was so understanding inside I was just breaking.
How can I stop my worn heart from continuously aching?
What else can I do but try and forget?
He's seeing someone else, I must get over it.
I can't even remember how it feels to have him near.
Now that he's with her, she's taken my place, I fear.
We went out for many months and got so close so fast.
It seems so long ago, those times have gone and past.
He says, "When I'm in college we'll be together again."
But I can't afford to lean on that for my heart will never mend.
I'll never tell him how much I hurt for pity I won't take.
I'll stand up straight with my shoulders back and one day he will make...
...A realization to the fact that he made a mistake
And when he does, it'll be my turn for him I will not take.
For he will have to work you see to win my heart again,
'Cause I was alone while he was not, now it's my turn to win (wow - vengeance)
It may be mean, but it'll be fun to see him look like me.
I'll hold off for a little while just so he can see.
Then one sweet day I'll take his hand after he has begged and pleaded
Then I'll smile at my success, and tell him he's the best for he's all I ever needed. (Hello co-dependent)
__________________________________________________________________________
(Commentary) I can tell you, that ending never happened, thank God. I got over it and never saw him again after college. It's a good thing.
It was fun finding these and seeing I've always sought this form of writing as a heart outlet. Glad the tradition has carried on!
No comments:
Post a Comment